Wednesday, April 23, 2014

{Heather #Review} Contemporary Romance: Searching for Perfect by Jennifer Probst

SEARCHING FOR PERFECT by Jennifer Probst
Series: Searching For #2
Genre: Contemporary
Format: ebook via Netgalley
Length: 384 pages
Publisher: Gallery Books (April 29, 2014)

The up-and-coming matchmaking agency Kinnections is the hottest thing to hit Verily, New York—just like Kennedy Ashe, social director for the service she owns with her two best girlfriends. A coach, consultant, and cheerleader rolled into one super-sizzling package, Kennedy creates dream dates, encourages singles to shine, and never refuses a challenge—not even Nate Ellison Raymond Dunkle, rocket scientist, nerd extraordinaire, and Kennedy’s newest client.

Kennedy vows to work her magic and transform this hot mess in a lab coat with a disastrous relationship track record into the most wanted man on the Verily dating scene. If only she could turn the wand on herself . . .

Though she radiates confidence and sex appeal, Kennedy harbors deep-seated insecurities from a tormented past and lifelong struggle with weight issues. When she realizes she and Nate are cut from the same cloth and might be perfect together, can Kennedy learn to let her heart lead the way? Or will her fears sentence her to the sidelines as Nate finds love—with someone else?


Preorder A Copy: Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo | Book Depository | BAM
Other Books in Series:

REVIEW:

Searching for Perfect is the second book in author Jennifer Probst’s Searching For series. This story follows Kennedy, the second of three women who own and run Kinnections, a matchmaking service.

I reviewed Searching for Someday and gave it four hearts as I really enjoyed it. I wish I could do the same for this book. If you love Jennifer Probst books just stop reading here. Buy the book when it comes out and go happily on your way. I had major issues with this book and in the interest of honesty, I’m going to tell you what they are.

The first issue I have with this book is the hero: Nathan Ellison Raymond Dunkle. Yes. Probst named her hero NERD. And he is – he’s a rocket scientist, he goes out in public in his lab coat and a pocket protector, he has thick ugly glasses … the list goes on. As a nerd/geek girl myself I was actually offended at how many superficial stereotypes were put into play in the first chapter alone. In my opinion, this seemed like she was poking fun of nerds. Nerds, like bowties and fezzes, are cool. They shouldn’t be made fun of. And it makes no sense that Nate would go out on dates and to meetings in his lab coat. It would stay at work, where it is logical.

The second issue I have with this book is a lack of originality when compared to book one. Kennedy, like Kate, doesn’t date the men who join Kinnections. Kennedy, like Kate, throws other women at the hero. Kennedy, like Kate, gets in her own way and nearly ruins everything. At one point in the story Kate actually says, “I feel like we’re doing the Slade thing all over again.” YES. So did I. In my opinion, series books each need their own spin or they become monotonous. This book failed in that regard.

The third issue I have with this book is Kennedy’s weight issues. I have no problem with the fact that she HAS them; lots of women do and they deserve love as much as anyone else. My issue is that if someone has suffered from anorexia, they can’t “just eat” things like ice cream and other treats and it magically makes them a happier person. Anorexia is a serious, life-threatening illness. I felt it was handled in an off-hand, cavalier fashion that was at a minimum irresponsible. The first time Nate and Kennedy eat, he cajoles her to “live a little,” and she eats a French fry and is overcome with bliss. No mention is made of the hours of self-flagellation, guilt, shame, and terror that may follow as a result. I’ve seen it, and it’s no joke.

The reason this book gets three hearts instead of the two I want to give it is because of Nate. He may begin as a stereotypical nerd, but he is written beautifully and it is impossible not to fall in love with him. He is sweet, direct, sexy as hell, and is steadfast in his desire. He wants forever – and he wants it with Kennedy, despite her issues and mistakes. His love is both hot and incredibly comforting – he may be one of my favorite heroes so far. Every woman deserves the love of a man like Nate.

Favorite Quote:
“I’m an ass. I told you I loved you the wrong way, but I’m always doing things like this, and if we’re together that’s not gonna change. I wear my food on my clothes, mutter physics equations under my breath, and am OCD when it comes to germs in public restaurants. I say stupid shit, I’m obsessed with golf, and I fucking love you. I just love you.”


Reviews for other books in series:
Searching For Someday #1
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...