Tuesday, March 11, 2014

{Heather #Review} Contemporary Romance: Love Hacked by Penny Reid

LOVE HACKED by Penny Reid
Series: Knitting in the City #3
Genre: Contemporary
Format: ARC from author
Length: 390 pages
Publisher: Caped Publishing; 1 edition (March 3, 2014)

There are three things you need to know about Sandra Fielding: 1) She makes all her first dates cry, 2) She hasn't been kissed in over two years, and 3) She knows how to knit.

Sandra has difficulty removing her psychotherapist hat. Of her last 30 dates, 29 have ended the same way: the man sobbing uncontrollably. After one such disaster, Sandra--near desperation and maybe a little tipsy--gives in to a seemingly harmless encounter with her hot waiter, Alex. Argumentative, secretive, and hostile Alex may be the opposite of everything Sandra knows is right for her. But now, the girl who has spent all her life helping others change for the better, must find a way to cope with falling for someone who refuses to change at all.


Get Your Copy: Kindle | Nook | Kobo
Other Books in Series:


REVIEW:

Love Hacked is the third in Penny Reid’s Knitting in the City series, although each novel can be read as a stand alone book. This time we get the story of child psychiatrist Dr. Sandra Fielding and the manlicious waiter Alex Greene.

Let me begin by saying that I love Penny Reid’s books for a lot of reasons. The biggest reason is that she writes incredibly unique and interesting heroines and pairs them with equally unique and delicious men. This book is the best example of Penny’s matchmaking prowess so far. At first you think no way can a child psychiatrist and a simple waiter have anything in common on which to build a relationship. Then you see their physical attraction (which is smoking hot), and you think, okay, this could work, at least for the short term – and then Alex completely blows your mind. And then he does it again. Just like Sandra, you find yourself pinwheeling in a world where things are constantly shifting, and the only thing to hang onto is the man at the center of it all.

As with all Reid romances, there’s a strong plot and a lot of action happening – bugged apartments, secret rendezvous, the NSA, and more. But never does the plot overwhelm the story of Sandra and Alex as they find their way together. There are also a ton of geek and sci fi references, which I adored. The sexual tension in this book reaches volcanic levels before … well, I won’t ruin it for you. But definitely bookmark the fig scene – you’ll want to revisit that one later. Both Alex and Sandra are relatable and likable, despite aspects of Alex’s story being hidden until later on. Both the sex appeal and the secrets draw you into this book until you’re so hooked you hide from work and the real world in order to finish it. This book gets my highest recommendation.


Favorite Quote:
He waited till the train passed and we neared a quiet corner before he responded, “I’m going to walk you home.”
“Oh.” I said, but became instantly warm. I wondered if he expected to spend the night. I wondered if I wanted him to. I wondered if he wanted to. I wondered what I was doing. I wondered how I’d allowed myself to go on a date with him, have a great time even with all the ups and downs and BonerGate and depressing stories and knowledge that he was a gifted liar.
I was still wondering and had no answers when we reached my building.
I turned toward him, a little flustered, and said, “I, um, do you want-”
He cut me off with a kiss, but this one wasn’t like the others, not like the coffee shop where his intention had obviously been to distract me so he could snatch my purse; nor was it like our kisses at the restaurant—hot, hungry, and wet.
This one was sweet, soft, tasted sincere. Just velvety lips; a hint of open mouth; a gentle, secretive caress of his tongue. He tucked his hands into the pockets of my coat and tasted me—just a sip, a nibble—from several different angles.






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...