Saturday, March 8, 2014

{Chanpreet #Review} New Adult Contemporary Romance: At Any Price by Brenna Aubrey

AT ANY PRICE by Brenna Aubrey
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Series: Gaming the System #1
Format: copy provided by author
Length: 391 pages
Publisher: Silver Griffon Associates (January 13, 2014)

Achievement Unlocked: Geek Virgin
When Mia Strong, proud geek-girl and popular gaming blogger, auctions off her virginity online, she knows she'll make waves. But what she will not be making is a love connection. Her rules are set in stone: One night. No further contact.

It's a desperate step, but it's the only way she can go to medical school and pay her mother's mounting hospital bills.

Difficulty Level: Millionaire CEO
Adam Drake, the enigmatic auction winner, is a software prodigy who made his first million at seventeen. Now, in his mid-twenties, he's sexy, driven and--as CEO of his own gaming company--he's used to making the rules. Before Mia knows what's happening, he's found the loophole in the rules of her auction. Every stipulation she's made to protect her heart gets tossed by the wayside.

She can't tell if he's playing her...or if he's playing for keeps.


This New Adult contemporary romance is intended for readers over the age of 18 due to adult language, sexual content and adult situations.



Get A Copy: Kindle | Nook | iBooks | Kobo | ARe



REVIEW:

I've never read a book about gamers that was a romance, so I was excited about this book. Then I started seeing Brenna Aubrey's name pop up all over the internet with follow readers, bloggers, reviewers, and even authors shouting from the rooftops about how great the book was, further increasing my desire to read it. So when the opportunity came to review it, I jumped on it.

Besides featuring gamers/bloggers, there were other aspects of this book that made it different from your typical new adult romance. For one, there wasn't insta-love at first glance between Mia and Adam. In fact, there was insta-antagonism as Adam got on Mia's nerves. Another point to differentiate this book from other NA's was the fact that "finding" each other didn't solve the personal trauma the two had experienced. Yes, it brought them together and have Mia especially a chance to move forward, but it wasn't the solution.

Another positive point about this book was the chemistry between Adam and Mia. I love that it was hot from the get go but At Any Price started off as a spark that slowly turned into a raging fire. Another thing about this book that I really liked was how fast I read it. It's fast paced and you easily get caught up in it. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Mia auctioning off her virginity but when I read her Manifesto and found out why she was doing it, I realized she was just trying to solve many problems with the best tools at her disposal. Her methods were a bit unorthodox, but it was done with good intent.

In the beginning I wasn't quite sure to make of Adam. Sure he's a geek, but he's decent looking, wealthy, and successful, attributes that attract women like crazy. I wasn't quite able to figure out what his motivation was to "buy" Mia's virginity and then keep her with him for longer than their contract stipulated. I think it's safe to say Adam grew on me. Now the way the book ended was very satisfactory for me. I thought it was the end of their story, but it turns out this is the first book in a trilogy featuring Mia and Adam according to the blurbs found on Goodreads. Now I wouldn't be averse to a book from Adam's point of view but I'm not sure what Brenna Aubrey can do to make their story last three books and still keep it fresh. I guess I'll just have to pick up book two when it becomes available.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...