Thursday, February 6, 2014

{Heather #Review} Contemporary Erotic Romance: Crazy, Stupid Sex by Maisey Yates

CRAZY, STUPID SEX by Maisey Yates
Genre: Contemporary Erotic
Format: ebook via Netgalley
Length: 101 pages
Publisher: Cosmo Red Hot Reads from Harlequin (February 11, 2014)

How to Land the Hot Guy 1.0

A multimillionaire by the age of 27, app developer Evie James is clueless when it comes to hooking up. So she does what any self-respecting geek-girl looking to get laid would do: she programs her own app for landing a hot guy. After a few failed attempts at making contact, beta testing leads her to Caleb Anderson.

Caleb is used to female attention, but finds himself attracted to Evie because of her unique brand of awkward. A master of one-night stands, he's more than happy to show her what she's been missing in the bedroom. But he quickly discovers that one night with a woman like Evie will never be enough for him…



Preorder A Copy: Kindle | Nook | iBooks | Kobo


REVIEW:

Crazy Stupid Sex is a novella written for Cosmopolitan Magazine’s “Red Hot Reads” feature. As I haven’t read Cosmo in years (for reasons) I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this story. I was very pleasantly surprised.

The book follows the story of Evie, successful app developer and Geek girl. To test her latest app (one designed for picking up guys), Evie heads to a bar - to attempt to pick up a guy. Unexpectedly, she fails spectacularly until she snags the interest of Caleb Anderson, a rich and useless playboy who’s shagged so many women he’s bored by the entire process (not that it stops him. Sexy times are what he does). At this point I was not enamored of either character. I’m tired of Geek girls being labeled as socially awkward, of being unable to navigate the subtext of social situations. And Caleb, introduced as a jaded man whore, wasn’t doing much for me.

But then Evie and Caleb began to talk. And immediately, she called him on his bullcrap. “How do you do that?”
“What?”
“Say the most douchey things and make them sound hot?”

The conversation between the two of them was lively and full of back and forth. Evie is almost detrimentally honest which I love. I adored that she didn’t “play the game” of how hookups work, and neither did Caleb. They had decent first time sex and the scene ended the way it logically would, which is different from how most authors write first sex scenes. It was great.

Evie and Caleb’s next meeting was at her office and here’s where I really began to enjoy the story. Maisey Yates knows how to write Geek girls. There are references to Doctor Who, for starters, and in her element Evie is pretty fierce. She doesn’t fall at Caleb’s feet when he appears, begging him for sex (which he admits to expecting, in another bout of refreshing honesty). The two embark on a relationship of sorts and they are both pretty clear-headed about it.

I won’t post spoilers here but the breaking point is (again) logical and believable and had me rooting for Evie all the way. I love when she turns to him, flips him a double bird, and walks out. She doesn’t take Caleb’s B.S. and it was epic to see, even though I could tell she was hurting.

The only reason the book didn’t get five hearts is because it was too short to smooth some of the conflict points - in particular, Caleb’s tortured past. The story felt a bit rushed to me – just as I was settling into who the characters were I was at the crisis and everyone changed. In a full length novel, this story would have been a very enthusiastic five hearts. It is worth the purchase and the read. I will be reading more Maisey Yates!


Favorite Quote:
“This isn’t what I do,” he said, his heart raging. “I don’t do fights and feelings and responsibility to another person.”
“Too bad. I have feelings. I have feelings for you and I’m all up in your bedroom, so they’re your problem.”
“I didn’t sign on for this.”
“You did! You walked into my office so confident you were going to have another night with me. You took a job so you could be with me. You signed on. So don’t give me your shit now that you’re all scared.”


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...