Tuesday, December 31, 2013

{Jamie #Review} New Adult Contemporary Romance: Three Broken Promises by Monica Murphy

THREE BROKEN PROMISES by Monica Murphy
Series: One Week Girlfriend #3
Genre: New Adult Contemporary
Format: ebook via Netgalley
Length: 304 pages
Publisher: Bantam (December 31, 2013)

Commitment.

That’s what I really want from Colin. Ever since my brother, Danny, died in Iraq, Colin’s done so much to help me, including giving me a job at his popular restaurant so I can leave my crappy waitressing job at the strip joint. But lying in bed with him every night to comfort him from his horrible nightmares isn’t enough anymore. I know he feels guilty about Danny’s death, about not going to Iraq, but I can’t keep living this double life.

I love him desperately, but he’s got so many demons, and if he can’t open up to me now, then he’ll never be the real partner I need him to be. I gave him a month, and now I’m out of here. If he truly loves me like he says, he knows where to find me.


Get Your Copy: Amazon | B&N | iBooks | Kobo | BAM | Book Depository
Book Extras: Read an Excerpt
Other Books in Series:


REVIEW:

Colin and Jen have known each other forever. He was best friends with her brother Danny and when Danny dies in Afghanistan Colin vows to protect Jen. He takes her away from a horrible situation and gives her a job and a place to live. Jen is grateful for all Colin has done for her but she is tired of being dependent on him. She refuses to be a burden to him anymore so she plans to move away, start fresh. Now, she just needs to tell Colin.

Colin refuses to let Jen go. He needs her, not that he’ll admit that out loud. He can’t have her anyway, she’s his best friends sister and he needs to protect her. It doesn’t mean that he doesn’t want her. But he has his own demons that he’s running from and keeping her at arms length is what he thinks is best.

Right from the beginning you can see that Colin and Jen need each other. But you can also see that Jen needs to go, to try and make it on her own. However, that would’ve required Jen to actually make plans for her future. I like Jen, I get her need to get away but she really needed to think things through instead of just reacting. What I did like about her is that she put herself out there for Colin. She straight up tells him that she wants him. That takes guts. But I love Colin and his dark, mysterious, brooding self. For me, he’s what makes the story. He tries to keep Jen at a distance but you can see that he cares.

Colin and Jen both have secrets and guilt of things that have happened in the past. Now, if only they would actually talk to each other than maybe they could get on the same page and realize that they need each other and that they are better together.

Three Broken Promises is full of emotional angst and sexual chemistry. I loved getting to know more about Colin and Jen and I loved getting a chance to visit Fable and Drew. These two are still favorites of mine and had some great lines. And Owen! I’m so excited to see more of Owen in his book.

Favorite Quote:
“If you say ‘I don’t know,’ I swear to God, I will knee you in the balls.”




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...