Now, Lily writes Regency-set romance novels, with a focus on authentic emotion and the electricity that happens between two people when they discover, that against all odds, love has found them and isn’t going to let go. Within the pages of her books, you’ll find humor entwined with deep emotion and a rather spicy level of sensuality she likes to tell her mother that her editor forced her to write.
Lily lives in Texas where she writes looking out over a garden tended by her handsome, big-hearted Tex-Czech husband. She suffers endless (fun and always welcome!) interruptions by her two children. And like many authors, she writes with a cat—or two—wrapped around her legs.
Lily loves cooking, baking, supervising the gardener, reading, imbibing all things caffeinated and being in the company of good friends.
Connect with Lily: Author Site | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads
Jamie and Kati: Hi Lily! Welcome to Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance.
J&K: Share 5 fun facts about you that may surprise readers.
Lily Dalton: Well, first off, if you can believe it, I was an English major in college… Oh, wait? That’s not surprising? I know, I know, we are a dime a dozen in Romancelandia. Let’s see if I can do better than that!
What are some surprising things about me…
- Well…there was that one time I almost died!!! I think most of us have ONE INSTANCE IN LIFE we believe could have been THE END. I used to live in Panama, and some friends and I decided to swim from one island to another, which didn’t seem such a big deal because the distance wasn’t far. Several of us got caught in a rip current, where you swim and swim, but go nowhere, until you are exhausted. I remember thinking, “This is it! I’m done for. I can’t…swim…anymore.” A second later, the ocean set us free. Needless to say, I know what to do in a rip current now, and have a very healthy respect for the ocean.
- My “little” brother is a major in the US Army, and an EOD Master Blaster (ordnance/explosives). I’m very proud of him.
- My newest personal interest is teaching myself ornamental Spencerian handwriting. Why did I decide on that? I love vintage handwriting, and how beautiful it is, and mine is sooooo bad. We will see if I can learn it. It’s very relaxing. Almost meditative, and I try to spend about 20-30 minutes a day on it, usually before diving into my manuscript.
- My favorite job, other than being a writer, was working at an accident reconstruction firm. I’m not an engineer, of course, but assisted them while they undertook their investigations. I found every day really fascinating. Every accident was a new puzzle, and though the situations were often tragic, it felt like you were really doing something to help individuals and families in providing answers about what had happened.
- I’m a raging crazy fanatic fan of the Texas Aggies (WHOOP!) and the Houston Texans!!
J&K: Tell us a little bit about Never Desire A Duke
LD: My favorite romances have always been ones that break my reader’s heart, and then heal it all over again, a thousand times stronger! In Never Desire A Duke, married couple, Sophia and Vane have suffered a terrible tragedy. Pain and distance have driven them even farther apart, so much so that any sort of reconciliation is impossible. Faced with losing Sophia, Vane decides he isn’t willing to let her go without a fight, but she has other ideas. When they become snowbound at their country estate, they can no longer avoid their attraction to one another—although they do their best, trying to occupy their time with games from childhood, and village distractions. But of course all the attraction and passion in the world can’t guarantee forever. Only love can do that. Duke is a Christmas themed story, and Christmas is the perfect time for forgiveness (and getting warm with someone you love!) so I hope you’ll enjoy their renewed love story and discovering how it all comes about.
J&K: If Hollywood optioned your book, who would you cast for Sophia and Vane?
LD: Vane, in my head, was always Joe Manganiello, who is slobber-worthy on so many levels. For Sophia, I’d choose Jaime Alexander of Thor fame, who is beautiful, but always portrays herself as confident and strong.
J&K: In one word, describe your reaction to ‘The Call’.
LD: Out-of-my-mind-delirious-crazy-kookoobell-happy! (Hyphenating makes it one word, right?) (LOL. We'll let that slide.)
J&K: What can readers expect from you next?
LD: Duke took place in a snowbound country estate. Never Entice an Earl is the story of Daphne Bevington, Sophia’s impetuous younger sister who . Her story will be 100% steamy springtime London. Springtime in London--steamy, you say? Of course – after all, I’m not talking about the weather!
J&K: Thanks for stopping by Lily and congrats on the debut!
“You’ve stained your glove,” he observed quietly, glancing down, then again into her eyes.
She did not breathe. Could not breathe with him standing so near and scrutinizing her with such interest. With his shoulder to the column, he held her gaze with the easy confidence of a roué who feared no rebuff, which only infuriated her because in contrast she had known nothing but his disregard.
“Of course my glove is stained,” she retorted. “It is your fault for startling me.”
Displeasure flickered across his countenance. “For the second time tonight, it seems.”
And yet in the next moment his lips slanted into a boyish half smile, one that sent her heart bounding about inside her chest like a happy hound greeting its master. Her heart had always responded in this manner at the sight of one of Claxton’s smiles. Only she wasn’t a sweet-tempered hound, she was a woman—and she hadn’t forgotten the bitter terms upon which they’d parted.
He deftly lifted the glass from her hand and placed it to the nearby ledge. “It’s not my intention to be so startling.”
Before she knew what he was about, he’d pinched her fingertips and stolen her dampened glove from her hand. Cool air bathed her bare skin, sending a chill down her spine. While his free hand dispatched the glove into his coat pocket, the other held hers in place with a slight upward curl of his fingertips.
His lips pursed sensually. “As for your ruined glove, it would be my pleasure to escort you to your favorite shop and purchase another pair for you.”
“Claxton—” she warned, discomfited by his sudden foray into intimacy.
“Immediately. Posthaste.” He pressed his lips to the tops of her fingers. His gaze unwaveringly held hers. “Perhaps tomorrow morning?”
The warm bliss that was his mouth moved to the underside of her wrist, where he pressed his nose to her skin and inhaled, eyes closed, as if she exuded some intoxicating perfume. A mad, delicious tingling spiraled up from her toes along the back of her thighs.
His gaze captured hers. “If only you will say the word and allow it.”
Say what word? Half-drunk on sensation, she didn’t even recall what they were talking about.
Excerpt from NEVER DESIRE A DUKE ©2013 by Lily Dalton. All rights reserved.
Series: One Scandalous Season #1
Length: 416 pages
Publisher: Forever (September 24, 2013)
The magic of Christmas reunites an estranged husband and wife in the debut of this charming and sexy, new regency romance trilogy from Lily Dalton
A MARRIAGE BEYOND HOPE
The Duchess Sophia has long been estranged from her husband, His Grace, Vane Barwick, the Duke of Claxton, whose rumored list of amorous conquests includes almost every beautiful woman of the ton. Yet a shocking encounter with him in a crowded ballroom—and a single touch—are all it takes to reawaken her furious passion for him. But how can she trust the man who crushed her dreams and took away the one thing she wanted most?
A LOVE BEYOND REASON
Claxton has never forgiven himself for the youthful mistake that ruined his marriage to Sophia. Now, after nearly a year abroad, the reformed rogue vows to win back the only woman he’s ever truly loved. He’ll do whatever it takes to prove he can be the honorable husband she deserves—and the passionate lover she desires. As the snowdrifts deepen outside their ancestral home, can they rekindle the flame that burned so bright and find a new path to forever?
Get A Copy: Amazon | B&N | BAM | Book Depository | indiebound | iBooks
Book Extras: Read an Excerpt
Other Books in Series:
- What's your favorite holiday historical romance? If you don't read historicals, what's your favorite holiday romance?
- Fill out the rafflecopter form below. You must leave a comment. All other entries are optional.
- Please make sure you understand our giveaway policy before entering.
- You must have a Netgalley account.
- Giveaway ends October 6th.