Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Interview with Christi Barth, author of Love At High Tide


Meet Christi:
Christi Barth earned a Masters degree in vocal performance and embarked upon a career on the stage.  A love of romance then drew her to wedding planning.  Ultimately she succumbed to her lifelong love of books and now writes contemporary romance.  Christi is President of the Maryland Romance Writers and lives in Maryland with her husband.

Connect with Christi: Author Site | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest







Jamie and Kati: Hi Christi! Welcome to Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance.

J&K: Share 5 fun facts about yourself.
Christi Barth:

I’m a classically trained opera singer.
I far preferred my daily costume of petticoats and tight bodices as a singer to my current yoga pants as a writer. Love to dress up!
I didn’t learn to whistle until I was 12, on a memorable car ride to Disneyland.
I skipped the 2nd grade, thus graduating high school at 16.
The first time I skinnydipped was in the Atlantic, at the same beach where Love at High Tide is set.

J&K: What is Love At High Tide about? [no copying blurb :)]
CB:
It is a sexy and sassy beach fling caper. The ultimate summer read. Two people who want nothing more than a relaxing week at the beach fall deep into lust and become embroiled in a mysterious investigation.

J&K: What is it that makes each hero and heroine perfect for each other?
CB:
They each have emotional fissures that the other fills perfectly.

J&K: In one word, describe how you felt when you got “The Call”.
CB:
Full of fear. I was really trying to sell a single book, but tossed off the idea in the query that it could be a trilogy. My editor bought the trilogy and also wanted a Christmas novella. I had no idea how to write less than 95,000 words. The joy of the sale was utterly eclipsed by the fear of learning how to write both a novella and what is now a 4 book series.

J&K: For those not familiar with your books, which would you recommend they start with?
CB:
Well, I am here to promote my most recent release, Love at High Tide. It is pretty darn entertaining. But I think the book that will most suck you into my world and voice is book 1 of the Aisle Bound series, Planning for Love. Under the harsh spotlight of reality television, a romance-a-holic wedding planner tries to snare the anti-Cupid.

J&K: Do you have any writing rituals?
CB:
I have learned that I both can and must be able to write anywhere and everywhere. However, when it comes time to write the full on, earth-moving sex scene, I have to do it at one sitting, with a single White Russian.

J&K: What’s next for readers?
CB:
Lots upcoming! In August, Planning for Love releases nationwide in print – very exciting! Then book 3 in the Aisle Bound series, Friends to Lovers, releases in October, with book 4 following in early 2014. Sandwiched in between is my Christmas novella out the 1st week in December, Tinsel My Heart. Whew!

J&K: Can you give us a sneak peek into your current WIP?
CB:
(cracks open vault) okay – here’s the super secret opening line: Tan legs, muscled arms and rippling abs added up to the sexiest half-naked man Ella Mayhew had ever seen.

Lighting Round:
Alpha or Beta? Alpha. I’m married to a Beta, and wouldn’t trade that for the world. But if this is pure fantasy, then it would be a very wealthy, 2nd son (so I’m not expected to pop out an heir and a spare) Alpha prince of a country with a castle right on the beach. Ooh, and a sister who would be my new best friend.

Wallflower or Belle of the Ball? Belle of the Ball. She’s just more fun.

Debutante or Spinster? Debutante. I always wanted to be one (for the big, floofy dress, obviously), but I didn’t meet the age requirement in high school.

Virgin widow or Secret baby? Virgin widow. Those are sooooo sexy to read. Because she’s old enough not to be scared, and the seducing rake pulls out all the stops for her.

Titled peer or Working man? Titled peer. I like my creature comforts. Unapologetically.

Love at first sight or Second chances? Love at first sight. Second chances make me wary they might break up for the same reason for a second time.

Naval officer or Swashbuckling pirate? Naval officer. Unless I can have the swashbuckling pirate transported to a decade with air conditioning and antibiotics. Time traveling pirate would trump naval officer.

Vampires or Shifters? Vampires. I’m not really an animal person. But I thoroughly enjoy sexy vampire antics.

Past, Present or Future? Present. The future doesn’t come off very well in the movies. I’m pretty happy right now.

Writing or Reading? Reading. Hands down. I enjoy writing, but I could read every moment of every day.

Paperbacks or e-books? Paperbacks for now. I’m getting my first Kindle next month, so we’ll see if I change my mind.

Plotter or Pantser? Plotter. 110%. Known to go on lengthy rants about how much more efficient it is to be a plotter at any moment.

Author’s choice: When my husband and I spend the week at Ocean City (where Love at High Tide is set), we throw all sensible nutrition out the window and gorge on chips, cheese, subs, and ice cream. What is your go-to snack for the beach?



“Thanks for the rescue. If you hadn’t grabbed me, I’d still be doing somersaults underwater. In my book, that qualifies you for hero status.”
An unreadable emotion flickered across his eyes so fast she almost missed it. In a low mutter, he said, “Don’t call me a hero.” He hit the hard-packed sand at the edge of the water and stopped walking.
Modest, heroic and gorgeous. And it didn’t take even a fraction of her eight years of training in cultural anthropology to figure out he was attracted to her. They’d long since hit land, and yet he made no move to put her down. Not that she was complaining. She’d happily continue to sit cradled in his arms. It gave her an up-close view of his chiseled cheekbones, sharp enough to etch glass. Her fingers brushed through the salt-spiked tips of his blond hair. No doubt about it: she’d found the man candy Trina had promised. One bite of him would be as sinful and addictive as a chocolate honey truffle.
“Well, I can’t call you Mr. In-The-Right-Place-At-The-Right-Time.” When his lips curled up showing off his dimple, Darcy’s interest kicked up a notch.
“Good point. I’m Cooper Hudson. Coop, to my friends.”
“Darcy Trent.”
“It’s been a long time since I met an ocean virgin.”
“Oh, but only in the aquatic sense, I assure you.” What? Why wave her long-vanished virginity under his nose? Now he probably thought she had the morals of an alley cat. But hearing the hottest man she’d ever seen use the word virgin threw her for a loop. Not the standard nice-to-meet-you conversation, by a long shot.
He flashed an easy smile. “Don’t worry. I hadn’t planned on delivering you as a virgin sacrifice to appease the volcano gods over at the mini-golf course.”
Okay, now Darcy could add funny to the list of his overwhelming awesomeness. Maybe she really had blacked out and was hallucinating her ideal man while unconscious, underwater. What else could explain such perfection?
“Darcy, what happened?” Trina’s yell preceded her appearance in front of them. After a quick yank upward to her scrap of a top, she rested her hand on Darcy’s leg. “Why’s he carrying you? Did you get stung in the foot by a jellyfish? ’Cause if you did, I’ll pee on it. That’ll take the sting away.”
That certainly settled the whole am-I-hallucinating question. Never, ever would Darcy fantasize about her best friend peeing on her. The situation had to be real. And if Trina in all her adorable annoyingness was real, then her hot hero hunk had to be real, too.
To her dismay, Cooper lowered her to the ground.
“Your friend’s fine,” Cooper announced. “A wave almost rolled her, so she’s a little shaken up, but uninjured.”
“You keep your distance,” Darcy warned with a hand raised to keep Trina at arm’s length. “Don’t even think about peeing on me. Not even if I get attacked by an entire school of jellyfish.”
Trina wrinkled her nose. “Okay, but if the situation arises, just remember that I would be willing to make that sacrifice.”
“Friendship is a beautiful thing.” Cooper’s sardonic tone belied the sincerity of his expression.


Excerpt from Love At High Tide ©2013 by Christi Barth. All rights reserved.

###


Darcy Trent is lucky Cooper Hudson is on hand to sweep her off her feet—literally—when she nearly drowns while swimming in the ocean. But life-saving aside, Mr. Perfect's timing stinks: Darcy's career is about to take her to the complete opposite side of the Atlantic. Still, a little summer loving with the tall, blond and sexy former cop is far too tempting to pass up.

When his plans to enter the Secret Service went south thanks to a bum knee, Coop retreated to the family beach house to mull his future. Romance is the last thing on his mind, until he fishes a curvy brunette out of the sea. Now, spending time in Darcy's arms seems like the ideal distraction, even if it is just for a week.

But with Darcy's departure date fast approaching and their careers on the line, can they realize in time that their beach fling might become the real thing?

Get Your Own Copy: Kindle | Nook | iBooks | Kobo



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...