We're fans of men in kilts. It's only a skirt if he's wearing underwear. Anywhooo, Heather McCollum is here today to share some fun stuff about her novella and you have a chance to win an ebook copy.
WELCOME TO THE BLOG HEATHER!!!
Heather McCollum is an award winning, historical paranormal romance writer. She earned her B.A. in Biology from the University of Maine, much to her English professor’s dismay. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Heart of Carolina Romance Writers and the Ruby Slipper Sisterhood of 2009 Golden Heart Finalists.
The ancient magic and lush beauty of Great Britain entranced Ms. McCollum’s heart and imagination when she visited there years ago. The country’s history and landscape have been a backdrop for her writing ever since. She currently resides with her very own Highland hero and three spirited children in the wilds of suburbia on the mid-Atlantic coast.
Connect with Heather: Author Site | Facebook | Twitter
Thank you so much for having me today on Romancing Rakes for The Love of Romance! I’m very excited to be here to talk about my latest release, HIGHLAND HEART, a novella set in 16th century Scotland. HIGHLAND HEART is the prequel to my full length romance CAPTURED HEART which was released by Entangled Publishing in September.
Here are 7 fun facts about HIGHLAND HEART!
• HIGHLAND HEART was written after CAPTURED HEART even though the story takes place twenty years before CH. The novella, CH and two more sequels all take place in the early to mid 1500’s during the time of Henry VIII.
• HIGHLAND HEART brings together the ancient Munro clan and the English Brindle family. We meet Rachel Brindle, the “Munro Witch” in CH, before the clans in the western Highlands begin to fear her magic.
• Alec’s name was originally Hamish in the rough draft of CH, but once I realized I wanted to write about Alec’s and Rachel’s romance, I thought Alec fit him better. Naming my characters is a challenge for me, and I sometimes change them half way through. That’s about the time I really get to know them. Many times they end up being someone I wasn’t expecting. That’s when it gets fun!
• The women in the Brindle family all have the magic ability to heal people and animals with a glowing blue light. Some view this “oddity” as a gift while others view it as a curse. The women must hide their talents from clergy and witch hunters who openly searched for witches during this time in history.
• Each woman in the Brindle family has a birthmark shaped like a dragonfly somewhere on her body. I have always felt that dragonflies represent women. These delicate creatures have survived since the days of the dinosaurs. They are fragile in form but very resilient in spirit. Just like women.
• Rachel Brindle is a descendent of a 10th century healing witch who was captured by Vikings in Northumbria and taken to Denmark where she fell in love with the raider who captured her. But that’s another story altogether and can be found in my other series, THE DRAGONFLY CHRONICLES. This is never mentioned specifically in the books as the two series are completely separate.
• Rachel’s father, William Brindle, is really George I the Duke of Bedford and son of King Edward IV, a Plantagenet king. George I was the brother of the two princes who are suspected of being murdered by Richard III in the Tower of London. In the history books, George I died at the age of two, but in the HIGHLAND HEARTS series family tree, he was secreted away and raised as William Brindle, an ordinary merchant. The only link to his royal Plantagenet family is his golden ring that shows the Lancaster rose. This ring brings about the tragic downfall of his daughter in CAPTURED HEART, though we don’t realize it until the sequel (which I’m writing now).
Thank you again for having me on today. Now you know some fun little secrets about the HIGHLAND HEART Scottish historical series! I hope you enjoy these romantic adventures wrapped in white magic!
For more information on Heather McCollum and her books, please check out www.HeatherMcCollum.com.
Fleeing with only her bow, horse, enormous pet wolf, and the cryptic clues hidden in her mother’s medicine journal, healer Meg Boswell gallops north towards freedom, running from the man who falsely accused her mother of witchcraft. Cursed with magical healing abilities, Meg knows that if she’s captured, she will die like her mother atop a blazing witch’s pyre.
Winter winds rip across the Highlands, pressing Chief Caden Macbain forward in his desperate plan to save his clan. He’s not above using an innocent woman to bargain for peace if it keeps his clan from starving. But Meg isn’t who Caden thinks she is, and when she kills a man to save the clan, he must choose between duty and her life. For although he captured her to force a peace, Meg's strength and courage have captured Caden's heart.
Get Your Own Copy: Kindle | Nook
Other in Book Series:
Woot woot! Now on to the giveaway. Heather's publisher is offering one(1) ebook copy of HIGHLAND HEART to one(1) lucky reader. Here's how to enter:
- Leave a comment for Heather about your favorite books featuring Highlanders.
- Fill out the rafflecopter form below. You must leave a comment. All other entries are optional.
a Rafflecopter giveaway