Monday, August 6, 2012

Paranormal eARC Review: Shadow Rising by Kendra Leigh Castle

SHADOW RISING by Kendra Leigh Castle
Series: Dark Dynasties #3
Format: eBook via Netgalley
Genre: Paranormal
Length: 368 pages
Publisher: Forever (July 31, 2012)

Ancient Secrets, Dark Passions . . .As one of the Grigori, a noble vampire dynasty shrouded in mystery, Ariane has spent her life hidden away in the desert. Like all of her kind, she is a watcher, fated to observe, forbidden to act. Yet when her best friend Sammael vanishes, she defies all rules and flees her safe haven to bring him home.

A shape-shifting assassin for the House of Shadows, Damien Tremaine is hired to locate Sammael. His hunt for the wayward Grigori leads him to Ariane, the rogue vamp who stands between him and his bounty. Damien never lets emotion interfere with his work, but a single touch from the sexy, beguiling vampire shatters his self-control. Drawn together by their common goal, what begins as an alliance of necessity soon becomes one of desire. But when the secret at the dark heart of the Grigori comes to light, Damien and Ariane must make a choice that could bind them eternally . . . or tear them-and everything they care about-apart.
Connect with Kendra: Author Site | Facebook | Twitter
Get Your Own Copy: Amazon | Kindle | B&N | Nook | Powell's | iBooks | Books-A-Million
Book Extras: Explore the Dynasties
Other Books in Series:

REVIEW:
When I open a book and discover that there is a glossary or an explanation of the paranormal world I get nervous. So of course when I saw that Shadow Rising has a description of the different types of vampires I panicked. Not to mention that I haven’t read the first 2 books in the Dark Dynasty series so I was sure I was going to be lost. But I wasn’t which is a big accomplishment to Kendra Leigh Castle. She does a great job easing you into this world so you don’t feel lost.

Damien Tremaine, a cat-shifting vampire, is hired to find Sammael, a missing Grigori vampire but there is another vampire searching for him. Ariane just wants to find her friend and breaks the Grigori law by going off to find him when she comes across Damien. Immediately there are sparks between them and they keep getting thrown together. But things start to get out of hand and it seems there is more going on than just a missing vampire.

Watching Damien and Ariane interact was amusing. Damien underestimated Ariane and it was fun to see him get bested by a woman. There is no denying the chemistry between them and it was great to see Damien’s control tested.

I want to be Ariane’s friend. I was absolutely in love with Ariane. She is strong and knows what she wants. After being basically trapped for hundreds of years she is determined to have a life. I love how she stood up for herself to Damien. And speaking of Damien… I think this says it all.

Damien was damaged and difficult and scarred. But he had brought a color and life to her existence unlike anything she’d known before. He professed to be a liar, but with her, he had been brutally honest about his strengths and his flaws. More, he accepted her own.

I love him. He can call me kitten anytime he wants. He is tough and sexy and kind of a jerk. Yet you can’t help but fall in love with him. He has this quite endearing quality that just gets you. Plus he purrs. Yeah.

Favorite Quote
“No, kitten. I’m not talking about your reputation. I’m talking about your heart and soul. There are still lots of ways to destroy those. And that is what I worry about with you.”
Overall:
Shadow Rising is an amazing story. I was hooked from the beginning and found myself rooting for Ariane and Damien. Definitely a new favorite paranormal series, and I will be going back and reading the first two books. And if you’re worried that you’ll be missing something if you haven’t read the other books, don’t be.


***review copy provided by Netgalley***


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...