Saturday, June 16, 2012

Studio Smexy Saturdays: Designer Angela Waters

Angela Waters is a super important lady. She designs cover stunning covers for Carina Press, Samhain Publishing and a few other publishers. Today she's stopping by to answer some questions about the design process as well as sharing two very sexy covers.

WELCOME TO STUDIO SMEXY SATURDAYS ANGELA!!!

Meet Angela:
For me, art has many forms and has been part of my life since my father placed a guitar in my hands when I was 6 years old. I’ve played many different instruments since that time but it was not enough to satisfy my muse. It wanted to express itself in visual form.

I’ve always been fascinated with art from the Renaissance Masters to Anime. My office walls are covered in a mix of art drawn by artists like Joseph Linzner and Anime by my very talented daughter, which fuels my own artistic side.

My eclectic tastes in music, art and books have converged with my fascination with technology. Sleepless nights are filled with hardcore rock playing in the background, strumming the tunes in colors that describe my vision of an author’s words.

My muse is thrilled to finally find a way to cut loose.

Connect with Angela: Site | FacebookTwitter

A note from Jenn: Angela Waters has an eye for covers. I didn't know her until she downloaded one of my images, and then like a good little business woman, I went and stalked her silly on the interwebs. I found her website and was blown away, this was the person who has her mits on my image? I couldn't wait to see what she did. Now every time I see her name blow past my dashboard on the download list I get the chills. She is a true artist, and her covers are amazing. I can't wait to see what else she manages to do. :)
Jamie and Kati: Share 5 fun facts about yourself. 
Angela Waters: 
1). I was an Aviation Electronics Tech in the Navy and worked on F/18 weapon and electronics systems. 2). I love watching cheesy foreign horror movies on Netflix with my 16 year old daughter. 
3). I’m a big Anime buff – LOVE Yasuhiro Nightow. His artwork is absolutely amazing. 
4). I have a crush on Batman but what girl doesn’t  
5). I have a trench coat collection that would make Hellraiser jealous.

J&K: What drew you to pursuing design? 
AW: It was completely by accident. I was playing around with Photoshop and web design with CSS when a client asked me if I could design book covers. I found that I really enjoyed designing covers and have been going strong ever since. It is one of the most rewarding and fun jobs I have had.

J&K: How many hours do you spend on one cover? 
AW:  It just depends on what is involved in the design. When I am working, I can easily loose track of time. Some days I can knock out five or six covers other days one. If my muse isn’t playing nicely with one design, I’ll work on another and then come back when my muse wants to behave.
 
J&K: What program do you use to design covers? 
AW: Photoshop CS5 and my trusty Wacom tablet.

J&K: When you design a cover, does the author have any input or do they give you full creative control? AW: Each publishing company I design for has an art form filled out by the author with their design wishes. I take all of that information into consideration when I design a cover. The publishers I design for also have an approval process in place that allows the author a say in the design. When I freelance for an author, they have to approve the design before it is finalized.

J&K: What is your favorite genre to design? 
AW: I love designing in all genres. Each is a rewarding experience.

J&K: Which authors have you designed covers for? 
AW: Thea Harrison, Vivian Arend, Lauren Dane, Cheryl Holt, Shiloh Walker...Way too many to list them all .

J&K: Is there a particular cover you've designed that means something special to you? 
AW: All of my designs are special to me but I do have a couple of favorites – Dead of Winter by Brian Moreland, Mud Creek by Cheryl Holt, and A Line in the Ice by Jamie Craig top the list. I love that they focus on scenery and the designs really allowed my to play with painting.

STUDIO SMEXY COVERS by Angela:

Publishers Angela works for:

Aren't these covers hot??? We think so. What do y'all think?

A huge thank you to Angela for sharing a little bit about her design process as well as sharing two of her Studio Smexy shot covers and to Jenn for everything else *Rockstar*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...