Friday, April 15, 2011

Lara Adrian, I Wish I Knew How to Quit You...


I have to thank Jamie (For the Love of Romance) for putting me on the path of paranormal romance. At least, reading and re-reading ones that I already had. I started re-reading the first book of Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series: KISS OF MIDNIGHT. It was one of those free Kindle downloads from a year or 2 ago.

Anyway, after reading the first one, I had to know what happened next. Would they take out the Big Bad? Why is Tegan such an asshole? Would Rio ever recover from his injuries (both physical and emotional)? Would Dante and Nikolai ever get HEA's? Now I'm just starting the 4th book and some of my answers have been answered. New characters have joined the Order and the questions start once again. But I'm not going to give any spoilers for those who haven't read these books.

There's just something darkly addictive about these books. I don't like my vampires sparkly (yes Twihards, I'm looking at you). I like them to be tall, dark and dangerous. Which these men are. Can they be called men?

Here's a few things that I've picked up from reading these books:

  • Apparently these vamps never wear underwear. They just go commando. (I'm not one to judge or complain. One less article of clothing to take off.)
  • Gen Ones (1st generation vamps) are very powerful but can't stand being exposed to the sun for a period of time. (Unlike the later generations who can withstand longer sun exposure.If need be.)
  • Breedmates are women who carry the gene with the ability to procreate with Breed males. (They can be identified by the teardrop falling into the bowl of a crescent moon.)
  • Once a Breed male mates with a Breedmate, it's for life (The exchange of blood keeps them linked and sustains a Breedmates youthfulness.)
  • The Big Bad (yes, I'm borrowing from Buffy) has been biding his time for a LONG time.
  • Rogues are vampires who have succumbed to Bloodlust. (They're the junkies of the vampire world.)
  • Rogues can be killed with titanium laced weaponry. (They sizzle, melt and turn into ash when cut by said weapon.)
  • Darkhavens are for sissies. (These are the sheltered, politically correct type of vamps.)
  • The Warrior class is bad ass. (That is all.)
  • Minions are humans who are controlled by a vampire. (Vamp sucks the consciousness out of the human and in return, the human does the vampires bidding. Good for day time activities.)
  • There are no Breed women. (As in, female vamps.)
  • The older the Warrior, the more dermaglyphs. (Dermaglyphs: naturally occurring marks inherited from the Breed's forebearers. Unique indication of lineage and social rank. Changes color to match the mood of the Warrior.)

There are still 6 more books in the series I have yet to read. I believe 2 of them are coming out this year. I know for sure that DEEPER THAN MIDNIGHT is coming out in June. Be on the lookout. Heck, go and pre-order it now. Mass Market Paperback or Kindle I'll wait.

Ok, done? Great!

So, tell me what book you're reading right now. Any book series you'd recommend that I read? Besides BDB (yes, Jamie. I'm looking at you.) 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...