FOREVER A LADY by Delilah MarvellePre-Order A Copy: Amazon(pb) | Kindle | B&N(pb) | Nook | Book Depository | Jan's (signed)
Length: 368 pages
Publisher: HQN (July 24,2012)
TWO DIFFERENT CLASSES, ONE COMMON DESIRE...
Lady Bernadette Marie Burton may be the richest widow in England, but like her dreams of finding true passion, her reputation is deteriorating. Cruel gossip, loneliness and hoards of opportunistic suitors have her believing Society couldn't be more vile...or dangerous. So when an attacker threatens her life, she finds safety in the most unseemly of places: the arms of a mysterious, Irish-American gang leader.
His fortune stolen, young Matthew Joseph Milton is done playing the respectable gentleman. In the slums of New York, only ruffians thrive. But from the moment he arrives in London and encounters the voluptuous Lady Bernadette, he can't help but wonder about the finer pleasures he's missing. Or just how much he's willing to risk-not only to bed her, but to prove his worth...
Book Extras: Read An Excerpt
Other Books in Series:
Oh Delilah Marvelle, you make me fall in love each time I read your books. *hums 'Seize the Day' from the Newsies soundtrack while writing review*
Reasons To Read This Book:
- You're a Delilah Marvelle fan. Duh! You won't be disappointed. Delilah strikes again but this time it's the story of a younger man falling in love with an older woman.
- Eye patch hotness. Matthew Milton's father lost his newspaper business due to their bookkeeper and trusted family friend embezzling funds. Poor Matthew and his Da end up slumming it and on his first day, he gets almost KO'd by a man trying to collect a debt from a small boy. He ends up losing his eyesight in one eye and goes all land pirate. He heads up the gang called the Forty Thieves and they go around delivering their own brand of justice through their ward. He goes off to London with a friend to get away from the crime he is charged with and ends up rescuing a woman from a crazy ex-lover.
- The older woman. Bernadette Burton left London to start anew after the vicious gossip running through the London ton. Ending up in New Orleans, she is set upon by some seedy looking men but ends up getting saved by Mr. Astor and his grandson. Now that Astor has come to collect on a debt, Bernadette must go back to London and go all Henry Higgins on some American girl who is supposed to marry a lord. Things get crazy from there. First, she's attacked by a riding crop from an ex-paramour (and not in the totally hot sexual way you were thinking), next, she's saved by an intriguing man with an eye patch and finally, she offers him money. What the feck?!
- Sexy Times. Oh, you know, the Delilah treatment. If I have to explain, you're missing out.
- Chapter beginnings. Personally, I really liked how each chapter started. At the beginning of each chapter is a quote that Delilah pulled from an actual newspaper and it sort of mimics a press release. Kind of goes with the Newsies angle.
And he swore upon his very last breath that he was going to become the man that Bernadette not only deserved, but a man she would swoon to keep.Overall: Oh holy feck! This book was one part Gangs of New York and one part Newsies with a signature Delilah twist: hotness. It has taken me days to write this review because I can't find the right words to express my love for this book. So let me try out a few and see if you think these describe the book (for those of you who have read it): amazing, deliciously sinful, holy hotness, heart tugging, sexy and spine tingling. How am I doing so far? I am very much looking forward to the final book in this trilogy. All events are leading up to the reveal of what the feck happened to the stolen child in Forever Mine.
***review copy provide by Netgalley and ARC copy by author***