- Enclave by Anne Aguirre
- Format: Kindle Edition
- Print Length: 272 pages
- Publisher: Feiwel & Friends (April 12, 2011)
- New York City has been decimated by war and plague, and most of civilization has migrated to underground enclaves, where life expectancy is no more than the early 20's. When Deuce turns 15, she takes on her role as a Huntress, and is paired with Fade, a teenage Hunter who lived Topside as a young boy. When she and Fade discover that the neighboring enclave has been decimated by the tunnel monsters—or Freaks—who seem to be growing more organized, the elders refuse to listen to warnings. And when Deuce and Fade are exiled from the enclave, the girl born in darkness must survive in daylight, in the ruins of a city whose population has dwindled to a few dangerous gangs. As the two are guided by Fade’s long-ago memories, they face dangers, and feelings, unlike any they’ve ever known.
All I can say is WOW! I told myself I'd read it in the evening. I took a peak and somehow lost the rest of my day. (In a good way) Thank you Ms. Ann Aguirre.
I haven't read a book set in a post apocalyptic society. Nor have I read YA books in a while.
What I liked about this book:
- Deuce. The book is in her POV. She a strong, fierce and loyal Huntress. She has always lived her life underground and trained to be a Huntress since she was a brat. After getting paired with Fade, an older boy and Hunter, she begins to question whether the Elders in the enclave are keeping things from them. She sticks up for her friend and gets exiled along with Fade. She has the will of a Huntress but the heart of a Breeder.
- Fade. He comes to the enclave partly starved and slightly feral. He is an outsider so he is never accepted by the people of the enclave. He is mysterious,strong and thoughtful. He always has Deuce's back whether she likes it or not.
- The subtle hints of a love triangle between Deuce, Fade and Stalker. What book is complete without a bit of a love triangle?
- The Freaks. Can I say that these zombie-like things gave me nightmares? I can still hear the sound of teeth ripping into flesh. I can still see their claw-like hands, razor sharp teeth dripping with blood, and smell death on their breaths.
- Movie-like description. As I was reading this book, I could almost see it like a movie playing in my head. (Are you listening Hollywood?)
- The fight scenes with the Freaks and later the gangers. I haven't read a book that has given me this many short bursts of adrenaline or heart palpitations. Ever.
It left me wanting more. As in, I can't wait for the next book.
"I was born there. I expected to die there. If I'd never left, I think I would've been content. I believed what they told me about the surface. When we started climbing that day, I thought I'd die of fear."Overall impression:
It seems quite a few romance authors are making their way into YA. Ms. Aguirre being one of them. I have never read any of her other books so this book determines whether or not I'd read another one by Ms. Aguirre. The answer is a resounding YES! This series shows a lot of promise. If you decide to pick up this book, make sure you're not doing anything important. A peek inside this nitty, gritty and dangerous world won't be just a peek, it'll become a whole afternoon. I haven't read any YA books since Twilight and with this book, I am ready to make my way back into the fold.
*This book was provided by Ms. Ann Aguirre for an honest review on Amazon.